Okay, so the last time I watched the Oscars where when Halle Berry created history by winning the best actress and giving an acceptence speech which set standards of brevity world around thanking as she did everyone from Adam and Eve to her dog walker. But one could forgive her because one cant be breathtakingly beautiful and a genius at the same time (Unless it happens to be the author of this post. Yes please stop smirking.)
India swept the Oscars as Slumdog Millionaire swept the categories it was nominated in. Just like Switzerland sweeps the Filmfares everytime a Yashraj productions wins them by buckets. Here is what Danny Boyle has to say about rejoicing Indians, including CNN-IBN ticker feed which showed “Boyle’s next movie to be set in Mumbai”for half a day
Talking to Times of India from Los Angeles an hour after he picked up his Oscar, a slightly out of breath, Boyle said, “I’m truly happy that every Indian I meet is beaming, and it is the ultimate compliment for me that people in India see Slumdog Millionaire as anIndian film. However, in reality it is a British film. It is a very gritty in the beginning and very realistic because our film culture is based on that kind of realism which in Hollywood and Bollywood isn’t quite there.’’
On other euphoria related news the UPA goverment is claiming credit for Slumdog’s success. After all had they stayed true to their garibi hatao pre-poll promises how would Boyle have made this movie?
But one is truly happy for A.R.Ruhkman(!!) for being awarded the highest cinematic glory if nothing but consistantly giving us one beautiful number after another from Roja to Delhi-6. We all love him for choosing love over hate and even more for giving rediff message boards regulars the innumerable opportunity for Tamizh vs Northie and Hindu vs Muslim slugfests. By and by Mrs.Rehman looked absolutely delicious in the Sabyaschi number.
Which brings us to the classy attires all ladies wear to the Oscars.Sample this Jessica Biel number. It takes umatched sophistication to let table napkin hang out of your boobs and yet smile at the cameras. (And zero fashion knowledge to laugh at such fashion-forward creations).I am also yet to figure out why Sophia Loren looked the way she did and why she stood the way she did. Must be something again to do with elegance and class, words lost on the author of this post. Frieda Pinto whose been running from The Tonight show to every conceivable fashion magazine shoot(and away from her so called husband) was looking her usual breath-takingly beautiful self(as every magazine calls her) in her usual kaamwali bai with squint type of way(as Parul put it here).
There were no item numbers with all leading film beauties in the tradition of the Filmfares but there was something which Jackman (drool, despite the am trying too hard humor) did with Beyonce and the High School musical people. I waited for Rehman’s performance till 12 midnight on Star Movies which showed at least 2 hours of red carpet at prime time,and finally gave up and looked at Youtube for answers.
However in keeping with Bollywood star nights, we did see the camera pan to Angelina as Jennifer Aniston made her Rachel Green face at Jack black’s Dreamwork’s dig in true tradition of showing Rekha’s closeup as Amitabh came on stage or in recent times Shahid’s closeup as Kareena performed.
So despite feeling of not completely satiated, used to as one is seeing
1. One item number after every award of significance.
2. SRK winning everything from sound technician award to best male lead year after year.
3. People chewing gum while accepting awards.
4. And now cat fights between hosts and award winners (yes, yes Sajid Khan and Gowrikar wala)
I’ll accept the following did make me a happy bedridden person
1. Seeing Rehman win twice made me delirious with joy and his modesty made me verrry proud in a look-at-bhartiya-tradition way and he actually said the mere paas maan hain dialogue 🙂 Much love.
2. The slum kids dressed in finery living at least for the day with the wealthiest and the most glamorous and risking adoption by the Brangelina couple.
3. Resul Pookutty (Flower child in malayalam..heehee..trivia..) almost elbowing others on the podium to make his acceptance speech and then almost forgetting and then making a very proud Indian speech.
4. Past winners introducing current nominees, Verryy classy.
5. Anil Kapoor of all Bollywood actors. Him of my-name-is-lakhan and ladla standing on an Oscar podium.
But over all not a patch on Nokia Star Screen awards, I tell you!
“All this while, India had been the only country not to have won an Oscar for music. This award legitimises our music and the aspirations of hundreds of other musicians,” he said.