There is the drowning nightmare. There is the going for important meeting naked nightmare. And then there is the day without cellphone nightmare.
Maybe in a twisted sense I am lucky I got to live the third one and not the other two.
Honestly, I am to technology what anti-matter is to matter, Lex Luthur is to Clark Kent.Arch enemy.The nemesis.
Boy: I want the iPhone.
Me: Ek dum bakwaas hain, no Bluetooth, no forwarding,2 mpx camera!!
Boy: But 3G hain na?
Me: Jo India main nai hain!!And its soo expensive!! There are so many better phones from Nokia. Just see na.
Boy(waiting for such a slip): I want the E71.
Boy: I will check mails on my phone.
Me: you can check mails on your laptop.
Boy: I can type with Qwerty keys.
Me: you can type that on your laptop.
Boy: I will take your pictures on the 3.5 mpx camera and make it my wallpaper.
Me: okay.Lets buy it.
Men. Silly creatures.
I don’t remember life before the cellphone. Hell, for a very long time we didn’t even have a landline. I mean how on earth did we survive not knowing
- New Himesh songs available for download for free. Call charges Rs 6/pm
- Janiye apne bhavishye ke bare main. SMS “bhav” followed by DoB to 6655.
- Do you think Katrina Kaif should still be with Salman?Type Y or N and send to 6655
And what about the moment you switch your phone on after reaching a new city/state. The first people welcoming you and inquiring after your safety by bombarding your inbox isn’t your mommy-daddy or chachi from Chhattisgarh but
“Welcome to Hastianpur. XYZ now provides national roaming at 1 rupees only.”
Ahh. One can never be connected enough. So imagine in such yug and such technologically advanced age (where planes just drop off radars. Digress. Digress)
I spent not one, but two days without a cellphone.
The ear missed what has become its plastic extension, the palm involuntarily went to the ear, the fingers twitched…the withdrawl symptoms…
Seriously, I realized how dependent we are on this tiny machinery.
- I had no alarms system in place.Usually my mom is the backup alarm who checks if I have woken up by calling. But this was simultaneous failure of mains and backup. As a result I woke up when the sun hit my face.Trust me the Sun does not hit your face at 7.30 am (when I SHOULD get up)
- The only number I knew by heart was the home landline. During MTNL days I knew all my friends number. Now just one.Not even the Boy’s.Since I hadn’t taken a backup, all my nos. are currently lost.
- I cant travel anywhere without the trusted radio in my ears. 3 days of bombat kannada music was enough and more. Give me my 94.3 and 91.9FM.
- I tried calling you but it was unreachable-was a standard excuse peddled to me. Whats the landline for #$%? I used the corollary as well-I dint have the phone so couldnt reach you.
So how much of your life does your phone control?