I am the type of person who will read travel adventures and go “ohh I must go there or do that” and then slip back into my work-home routine.Holidays are spent lying prostrate on the bed with the thumb twiddling the TV remote. So for a change this weekend I hauled my behind to go to Coorg or Madikeri.
No. of days=3
Kms covered=approx. 800Kms
Cost=Indica A/c car at Rs5.50/km so that you can stop en route and the driver would generally know what is where. Stay at Coorg can be cheap or expensive with rates from Rs300 per night lodges to Rs.7.5K per night Mahindra Holidays/Orange County.
1. Historical city of Srirangapatnam having
- 1000 year old Sri Ranganatha Temple (could do with some maintenance)
- Tipu’ s death spot
- Tipu’s mosque (we missed this)
- Tipu’s summer palace called Dariya Daulat built in 1784.
- This is a Tibetan settlement
- Nyingmapa Tibetan Monastry with jawdropping paint work and golden statues of Buddha.
- Tibetan market and momos.
- We reached around 10pm and struggled to find a decent accomodation hence recommend pre-booking on long weekends or holidays.
- Hotels, resorts and homestay are available hence you can stay as per your budget.
- Rajaseat-time to visit is morning as in the evening it can give Andheri station a run for its money in terms of crowd.
- Abbey Falls-maybe it was the wrong time of the year but there wasnt much water falling here, although travel guides have pics like these,what we saw was this.
- Talacauvery-the place of origin of Cauvery. This is primarily a religious place.I expected a stream or a geyser but it turned out to be a pond with a temple attached. When we reached here the clouds had descended on the place and we literally had a walk in the clouds!There is also a 215 step climb to a viewpoint which we huffed and puffed to have our heads in the clouds literally!
- It is an elephant sanctuary by the Cauvery river. This is a forest department owned camp where wild elephants are captured, tamed and bred.Arrive at 8.30am and you can watch elephnat feeding and bathing and you can enjoy elephant rides till 12 pm. We arrived at 12.30pm,sigh!and could only see the magnificent beasts behind wooden cages.
- There is also river rafting and motor boat crossing available for the river although in this weather crossing it on foot jumping from stone to stone was more fun. This was personally my best point in the trip-to cross cauvery on foot.
- This is a picnic spot having rabbits, deers, elephants. 2 things to watch out
- a hanging bridge
- elephant ride
Places we couldnt see, mostly because of our time mismanagement-Nagarhole National Park and Mysore. Nagarhole would take upto a day to cover and have planned to return to Mysore during Dussera when it becomes the place to be!
Hope this travelogue will be first of many.
All pics by WSW on her cybershot,bina credit diye photo chepne wale tera muuh kala.